tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Extra DLT types required for opensolaris DLPI DL

From: Darren Reed <Darren.Reed () Sun COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:20:22 -0700

Sebastien Roy wrote:
It might also be simplest for BPF to hook into the ipnet driver anyway,
as the driver implements all kinds of heuristics to ensure that the
observer doesn't see packets that shouldn't be seen (as related to
zones).  Some code sharing would be beneficial, and the header could be
part of that sharing.  In any case, I think this is getting into
implementation, and probably putting the cart before the horse.

That is the intention... +/- some tweaks to the implementation ;)

- with respect to all of the above, it may be beneficial to keep DL_IPNET as a private header type for libdlpi to use when opening /dev/ipnet things, the further away I can stay from snoop the better.

Let's keep snoop out of it, since I think it's unrelated to this
discussion.  It just happens to be something that groks DL_IPNET.
DL_IPNET isn't a private thing, it's quite Public, in fact, the goal was
to add support for it in libpcap and eventually have applications like
tcpdump and Ethereal parse the resulting headers.

Ok, well that didn't happen...

Anyway, even though DL_IPNET is assigned in <sys/dlpi.h>, that
number space is quite separate from that what is used by BPF -
that is what started this thread.  There needs to be a mapping
of DL_IPNET to something that ships with libpcap for use by BPF.
At this point my suggestion is for that something to be DLT_LOOP_SOLARIS.
As an example, DL_ETHER from <sys/dlpi.h> needs to be mapped to
DLT_EN10MB for <net/bpf.h>.

Darren

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.