tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Extra DLT types required for opensolaris DLPI DL

From: Darren Reed <Darren.Reed () Sun COM>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:24:03 -0700

On 29/03/09 11:11 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Mar 29, 2009, at 10:59 PM, Darren Reed wrote:

What I am considering is:

And what Sebastien is suggesting is, I think:

using the DL_IPNET link-layer header for loopback devices, as documented in the loopback device man page, in your Solaris BPF, rather than inventing a new header;

implementing that by having BPF turn on DL_IOC_IPNET_INFO for DL_IPNET devices.

Which isn't how BPF selects which link layer type to use for packet capture.

But it isn't really a concern: there's never been a way to intercept loopback packets for Solaris, so there is no history to play nice to. I suppose the only question really is if "lo0" should also have a DLT_NULL in addition to DLT_something_else, and have DLT_NULL be the default like it is elsewhere.

(Sebastien, is that man page available to people *not* working at Sun? For that matter, are binary builds of the current state of Solaris 11/OpenSolaris available to people not working at Sun, to, for example, install on VMware virtual machines?)

If you download the latest Solaris Express Community Edition, you will find it.
The latest DVD image to install can be grabbed here:
https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=Sol-Express_b110-SEG-x86-SP-G-B@CDS-CDS_SMI
If you want OpenSolaris, then you can get that here via bittorrent:
http://dlc.sun.com/torrents/info/osol-0811.iso.torrent
More info here:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

Darren