tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Hardware mac address with pcap/winpcap

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni () cacetech com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:19:04 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Morgan" <chmorgan () gmail com>
To: <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] Hardware mac address with pcap/winpcap

Is the development of pcap such that such a feature might be present
in the next several months? Even something that would work on WinXP
and beyond and Linux with a newish kernel would be great, although I
don't assume that pcap and winpcap are developed by the same people.

--GV--
In the case of Windows/WinPcap, we have an internal Packet API to get the MAC address, the main problem is exposing such MAC address at the pcap API level. I actually didn't know that findalldevs was returning the MAC address on (some flavors of?) linux. What is the sa_family in that case?

Have a nice day
GV
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.