tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Hardware mac address with pcap/winpcap

From: Chris Morgan <chmorgan () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:44:21 -0500

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Michael Richardson
<mcr () sandelman ottawa on ca> wrote:

"Chris" == Chris Morgan <chmorgan () gmail com> writes:
   Chris> I'm working on a pcap/winpcap c# library, SharpPcap. I was
   Chris> wondering what the best way to get a devices mac address was,
   Chris> preferrably in a manner that would work in both pcap and with
   Chris> winpcap. So far I've seen code that captures packets on the

 Which device?
 Are you looking for your MAC address, or a remote one?

I would be looking for the local adapter mac addresses.  Under linux
with pcap and the adapters I have, ethernet and wireless, I see
hardware mac addresses in pcap_if_t.addresses. I wasn't sure if there
were any known cases where pcap_if_t.addresses wouldn't have the
hardware mac address, like  with winpcap, particular devices etc.
Users have reported difficulty getting the adapter mac addresses so it
seemed useful to ask the experts.

 Why does it matter if this is a library for C#...

Oh, I was just giving some background.

Chris
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.