tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: NIC / driver performance with libpcap

From: Fabian Schneider <schneifa () net in tum de>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:12:22 +0100 (CET)

Hi Andy,

The two metrics I looking at now are:

- What throughput can I get before seeing dropped packets
- CPU usage

maybe you want to take a look at [1] where I have done exactly this for a
special systems with Intel cards. If you want to read more background on
this have a look at [2] where the measurement setup is explained in more
detail.

We are trying to gather all things that enable high performance capturing
on the following web page:

http://www.net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de/research/hppc/

Everybody is welcome to supply further and newer hint and tips on this
topic.

   best
   Fabian

[1] http://www.net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de/papers/SWF-PCCH10GEE-07.pdf
[2] http://www.net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de/papers/S-PEPCSHN-05.pdf

--
Fabian Schneider (Dipl. Inf.), An-Institut Deutsche Telekom Laboratories
Technische Universitaet Berlin, Fakultaet IV -- E-Technik und Informatik