tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: NIC / driver performance with libpcap

From: Andy Howell <AndyHowell () raitechnology com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:39:51 -0600

Fabian,

As I don't know such a list, I just tell what i know. By the way, which link layer technology are we talking about?

I'm primarily interested in 1-Gig Ethernet right now, though I'll need to look at 10-Gig at some point.

For 1-GigEthernet my experience shows that the intel cards are working quite well. You do not want to use cheaper ones like e.g. Netgear those at least were not able to process a fully loaded link and then the driver crashed. Sysconnect cards are as well working ok, though to as fast as the intels. By the way you want to enable NAPI for Linux.

I've heard similar results on Intel.

I've found that interrupt coalescing makes a big difference in throughput. In my application, I'm summarizing traffic at 100Msec intervals. I'm not too concerned about the extra latency introduced by the coalescing.

I'm putting together a simple benchmark program so I can get a better understanding of various factors affecting performance.

The two metrics I looking at now are:

 - What throughput can I get before seeing dropped packets
 - CPU usage

All I do with the incoming packets is count bytes and packets.
I welcome any feedback on this.

For 10-GigEthernet i heard (no own experience) that the Neterion Cards are good. Those are available in a special Solaris version as well.

I'll take a look at Neterion.

Thanks,

        Andy
-