tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [clearview-discuss] libdlpi with libpcap

From: sagun shakya <Sagun.Shakya () Sun COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:51:08 -0500

Thank you for reviewing the changes Guy!

FYI, I've also filed bug # 1882884 " Add libpcap support for new Solaris features".

Guy Harris wrote:

I mostly fixed the comment changes, thinking they were trivial and left other Sun cstyle error alone. I can see how it is distracting while reviewing the actual changes. I've undone such changes and posted a new webrev at:

http://cr.opensolaris.org/~sagun/libpcap/

pcap-streams.c isn't purely STREAMS-related, and most of the pcap-XXX.c files have implementations of the libpcap APIs; you might want to call it, for example, "dlpisubs.c", as it's subroutines for both the "raw DLPI" and libdlpi-mediated DLPI implementations.
Accepted. I'll change pcap-streams.c pcap-dlpisubs.c.

pcap_read_pkt() might be better named pcap_read_pkts(), or pcap_process_pkts() - it processes more than one packet.
pcap_process_pkts fits more to the function. I've fixed it to be that.

pcap_set_linktype() doesn't set the link-layer type in the sense that pcap_set_datalink() does - i.e., it doesn't change what the link-layer type of the packets supplied by the device is. pcap_process_mactype() might be a better name.
Accepted.

pcap_conf_bufmod() also flushes the read side of the stream; you might want to do that outside that routine, as that's not related to setting up bufmod. Then pcap_conf_bufmod() wouldn't exist on platforms without bufmod.

Yes, I had split pcap_alloc_databuf() for similar reason. Instead of creating another routine I'll just do this exclusively in pcap-[dlpi,libdlpi].c
You might also want to have pcap_open_live() in pcap-dlpi.c set passive mode if available, so that libpcap-based applications can coexist with link aggregation even in pre-Solaris 11 versions.
I'll add this to pcap_open_live in pcap_dlpi.c

I'll send an updated webrev once I've updated these changes.

-thanks,

Sagun

--

Sagun Shakya