tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Packet capture performance comparison of

From: Fabian Schneider <schneifa () net in tum de>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 08:54:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I've read Fabian Schneider's thesis "Performance evaluation of packet
capturing systems for high-speed networks", which compares capture
performance under variable testing and generally finds that dual-core
Opterons perform somewhat better under heavy capture load than dual-core
Xeons. But now that quad-core Xeons are available, I'm curious whether
anyone has measured capture improvement using four cores.

Unfortunately we haven't got such a system by now. But we are trying to
get one soon. But i do not expect to much improvement regarding the
difference between dual- and quad-core because i think the main bottleneck
is the memory accessibility. Nevertheless i think it is necessary by now
to examine the performance of the new Intel Core processor architecture,
which could yield major improvments.

I should expect four cores to do better, but I'd be interested in any
empirical results to that effect. I'm wondering, for example, how close
a box with a couple of dual-port PCIe Gb NICs (Endace or nPulse) and
dual quad-core processors could come to 4Gb/s aggregate capture speed,
while writing some packets to disk. Has anyone out there put together
such a box and come up with some performance statistics?

We are hopefully going to do this soon, but i cannot promise a date.

   best
   Fabian

--
Fabian Schneider (Dipl. Inf.), An-Institut Deutsche Telekom Laboratories
Technische Universitaet Berlin, Fakultaet IV -- E-Technik und Informatik

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.