tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: packet dropping on solaris

From: "Jonathan Khoo" <khoohuit () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 17:58:31 +0800

Hi Michele,

Thanks for your advice. Solaris uses ndd, something like sysctl for
linux. I tried with tethereal and also experience packet dropping and
all I did was to transfer a 10mb file from a linux box to a solaris
box.

I had played around with the following kernel parameters, but things
did not improve.

tcp_max_buf
tcp_recv_hiwat
tcp_recv_hiwat_minmss

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/streams_bandwith.html

According to the above link, I can use SBIOCSCHUNK to change the
stream high and low watermark. That is already handled inside the
libpcap code (pcap-dlpi.c). The article also mentioned about the use
of SB_NO_DROPS. However, I read from the tcpdump archives that this
was used previously and it caused packet drops.

Hmm...Does anyone has any advice on how I can proceed ? Did I miss out
anything important?

Thanks in advance for any advices!

cheers,
jonathan