tcpdump mailing list archives

libpcap lint

From: David Young <dyoung () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:24:44 -0500

libpcap has a lot of lint.  In gencode.c, some patterns stand out:

1)  Lots of unreachable break statements after return statements;
    why not drop the break statements?

2)  "Assignment of negative constant to unsigned type", usually
    assignments of the type "off_linktype = -1;" where off_linktype
    is a u_int.  It looks to me like UINT_MAX is intended.  Am I missing
    something?  I suggest

    #define OFF_UNDEFINED  UINT_MAX

    .
    .
    .

    off_linktype = OFF_UNDEFINED;

3)  Zillions of lint messages could be suppressed if bpf_error() and
    abort() calls were followed by /*NOTREACHED*/

I will send a patch that gets rid of the lint.

Dave

--
dyoung () ojctech com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933
-