tcpdump mailing list archives

question about -xX option / looking for a mailing list for tcpdump users

From: "Cristian Hesselman" <Cristian.Hesselman () telin nl>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:10:19 +0200

Folks,

Apologies for posting a user question on a developers mailing list, but
I couldn't find a mailing list for tcpdump users. If someone could point
me to one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

In case someone would like to help out anyway, here's my problem. I'm
using tcpdump to sniff an 802.11 link in promiscuous mode. I need to get
access to the messages' hex (including the link-level header), so I did
something like tpcdump <bla> -XX. I noticed that the name of the
wireless interface (eth2 in my case) appeared in the first line of the
ASCII and I was wondering what that means. I mean, that's local
information, so does it mean that tcpdump adds local information to the
messages it captures? If this is true, how many bytes are we talking
about?

Another question is that the -x and -xx options are supposed to restrict
tcpdump's output to hex only (no ASCII), but I'm still seeing the ASCII
when I use them.

I'm using tcpdump 3.8.3 and libpcap 0.8.3.

Thanks,
Cristian

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.