tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg () ozemail com au>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:14:18 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Loris Degioanni"
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] Proposed new pcap format

Essentially, what you propose is that the SHB CONTAINS a section rather
than
MARKING its beginning. The SHB, in fact, as any other block, includes a
Block Total Length field, which could be used to specify the length of
data
that follows the header.
However, this field is 32 bit only. Do you think
it's too short, considering that we could put another SHB after 4 GB?

32 bits is too short.  (some) People are already today using >2GB capture
files with all
the pains that brings with pcap and pcap-supposed-to-be-compliant
implementations
that treat file-length/offset as signed integer.

If the SHB is not a market but a container, as I said before, the other
blocks will be nested inside it. Moreover, Compression Blocks or
Encryption
Blocks could add a further level of nesting. In a general way, my opinion
is
that allowing nesting provides more versatility.

I think allowing nesting adds unneeded complexity.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.