tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:02:23 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Michael Richardson, sie wrote:
{Darren, you are sending to tcpdump-workers-owner, from the SMTP
 envelope. I think my MTA is canonicalizing something in a way I don't
 want it to. It isn't the lists' fault}

Thanks, fixed my alias.

"Darren" == Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au> writes:
    >> Are we worrying about corruption of the packets between the
    >> kernel and the userspace application? Or what?  Yes, the PCI bus
    >> is now among the more error-prone (relatively speaking) parts of
    >> the system. So, unless the hash is computing my the MAC/PHY, I
    >> don't see a point in this.

    Darren> I suppose, ideally, the kernel would digitally sign the
    Darren> captured packet.

  Prooving what? that you aren't being lied to? By whom?
  What is the thread model for this? What does having the kernel digital
sign stuff gain you? Who would lie to you in such a way that they
couldn't also have the kernel lie to you?

It's not about lieing so much as data integrity within the
computer/application and being able to trust that to a very
high level.

    Darren> The question I want to be able to answer is: "how do I know
    Darren> what's in the program's capture buffer represents what was
    Darren> received by the computer from the network with any degree of
    Darren> reliability?"

  Reliability implies bit-errors somewhere, not malicious attacks.

Or programming errors :)  But malicious attack is not a concern.

Darren
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.