tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: timestamps and timezone

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:22:50 -0800

On Mar 26, 2004, at 2:37 PM, alex medvedev wrote:

so what is the latest trend on the timestamp accuracy?
do you think nanoseconds are the future?

I think *allowing* nanosecond resolution would be a good idea.

just wondering because struct timeval is usually defined in sec/usec.

We're not obliged to use "struct timeval"s in capture files.

also, what are the benefits of having the timezone in the dump file set
[to anything other than 0]?
i'd rather see the local time where the dump was collected than my local
time at that moment.

Unfortunately, that's not what you see now, by default - time stamps are UNIX-style, i.e. UTC...

and if i do want to see what hour it was at my location, i can export TZ before running tcpdump -r as was pointed out on this list back in december.

...which means that if you want to see the time stamps in the time zone of the site where it was captured, you have to set TZ if that machine is in a different time zone or has different DST rules. Exporting TZ *isn't* necessary if you want to see what time it was in *your* locale.

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe