tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Apple IP-over-IEEE1394

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:20:59 -0800

On Mar 24, 2004, at 8:46 AM, Gisle Vanem wrote:

To me it looks like from reading the print-ap1394.c that it
handles "anything-over-IEEE1394" and not just IP.

Well, not *anything* - it probably won't handle SCSI-over-1394, or pictures or videos from your digital camera, for example.

I know next to nothing about IEEE-1394, so I'm a bit confused.
Why the emphasis on IP? Is that an industry mis-nomer?

Perhaps - see RFC 2734, which is entitled "IPv4 over IEEE 1394", but lists Ethernet types other than 0x0800 (0x0806 for 1394 ARP and 0x8861 for MCAP, which is a "multicast channel allocation protocol") and says

   NOTE: Other network protocols, identified by different values of
   ether_type, may use the encapsulation formats defined herein but such
   use is outside of the scope of this document.

Same goes for IP-over-Fibre channel.

See RFC 2625, which speaks only of IP and ARP, but indicates that there's an LLC/SNAP header, so it *could* be used for other protocols.

I think the "IP-over" part might come from the fact that the encapsulations were designed by people primarily thinking of running IP over those link layers - but they designed them in a way that they *could* be used to support other protocols; however, as they weren't involved in actually *implementing* those protocols on those link layers, perhaps they didn't want to use an RFC title suggesting that they were what would be used for all networking protocols.

I don't know whether, in practice, protocols other than IPv4 (and now IPv6, which does show up in some IP-over-1394 captures I've seen; presumably people can and perhaps do run it over Fibre Channel as well), and supporting protocols for them (e.g., ARP and MCAP) are run over those link layers.

BTW. How is ARP over IPFC printed? Seems it requires a LLC
header, but print-llc.c doesn't handle ARP.

print-llc.c handles LLC/SNAP, and LLC/SNAP is handled by processing the Ethernet type if the OUI is 0; SNAP packets will be handed to "snap_print()", and with an OUI of 0 they'll be handed to "ether_encap_print()", which will hand them to "print_arp()" if they have an Ethernet type of 0x0806 (or 0x8035 for reverse ARP).

BTW2. Is there an easy releationship between a 6-byte MAC addresses
and 8-byte EUI64 addresses used in IEEE-1394?

        http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/EUI64.html

An EUI-64 *can* include a 6-byte MAC address ("MAC-48 value"), but it need not do so. If the EUI-64 is of the form

        XX-XX-XX-FF-FF-YY-YY-YY

then the corresponding MAC address is XX-XX-XX-YY-YY-YY. That encapsulation is, however, listed as "deprecated", and the IP-over-1394 captures I've seen have EUI-64's that encapsulate EUI-48's:

        http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/EUI48.html

i.e. XX-XX-XX-FF-FE-YY-YY-YY, rather than encapsulating MAC addresses.

(See also

        http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/UseOfEUI.html

for more information on MAC-48's, EUI-48's, and EUI-64's.)

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe