tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: OpenBSD work on Tcpdump privilege separation

From: Pekka Savola <pekkas () netcore fi>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:36:02 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Rodrigo Rubira Branco wrote:
Simply call to setuid(getuid()) isn't sufficient, because if an attacker
  discovery buffer overflow, is possibly to he insert call to setuid in
your shellcode, and gain root privilegies.

Hmm.. I'm not sure if I understand what you're referrning to?  Could
you elaborate + provide a patch or description of the "proper" means?

It is assumed that the attacker would only be able to insert shellcode
or exploit the system after the privileges have been dropped -- not
before that.

Note that setuid(getuid()) is only done if the binary is setuid root.
For regular binary, you'll setuid to the specific account.

--

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at