tcpdump mailing list archives

Problem with tcpdump file

From: "Cliff Clavin" <postbote_cliff () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:19:59 +0000

Hi,

some days ago I read smtp and http traffic with tcpdump at different switches. For further analysis I want to use another software, which can read tcpdump files. (tcpdump 0.7.2)

Now I have the problem that the other software can read the http-tcpdump files, but not the smtp-tcpdump files. Ethereal can do it!

I saw that there are some stp and loop packets in the tcpdump files. I tried to filter these protocols out with tethereal and conversion, but I had no success.

Example: tethereal -d tcp.port==25,smtp -r filein -w fileout -F ngwsniffer_2_0 - (stp protocol still there)

If I filter these packets out with ethereal and save only the displayed content I had no success too. The new file couldn't be read by my analysis software.

So I'm wondering if anybody has a idea how to filter, convert or analyse the tcpdump files with programs like ethereal, tethereal, editcap, tcpdump to get this thing running.

How can I distinguish why the software can read the http-tcpdump files and not the smtp-tcpdump files?

Thanks in advance

with best regards
Cliff