tcpdump mailing list archives

Packet size question

From: Justin Hopper <gus () gusalmighty com>
Date: 20 Jul 2003 22:26:40 -0700

Hello list members,

It's funny that a search for libpcap or pcap on google doesn't return
much of any useful links.  For most programming projects, usually a
couple searches for libraries or syntax returns a ton.  So, I'm a bit
short on docs for working with libpcap.  I'm new to pcap, so please
forgive any of the ignorance in my questions, and any help or guidance
is greatly appreciated.

Question 1) What variable should be used to see what the actual size of
the currently read packet is?  struct pcap_pkthdr->len?  struct
ip->ip_len?  something else?

Qustion 2) Will fragmented packets affect any of the above structures
when trying to effectively count data moving across the wire with
libpcap?

Thanks again for any help.
--
Justin Hopper <gus () gusalmighty com>

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html