tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Help with timestamp

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:22:28 -0700

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:36:12AM +0100, Marcos Paredes Farrera wrote:
This is my first post in the List, I'm using tcpdump to monitor packets,
however I would like to know exactly how tcpdump is doing the time stamp

It's doing so by getting it from libpcap.

Libpcap is, on almost all platforms, doing it by getting it from the
OS's packet capture mechanism (HP-UX is, I think, the only exception).

I would like to know if tcpdump assign the time stamp when the first bit in
the packet is just to be delivered or when the packet has already delivered
the last bit. And in other case if a packet is received how is time stamped
when the first bit enters or when the last bit is received.

I infer that your first question there is about packets being
transmitted by the machine running tcpdump (or another libpcap-based
application) and the second question is about packets being received
from that machine.

In the first case, it's assigned whenever the packet is supplied, by the
networking stack, to whatever piece of code time-stamps the packet;
that's before the first bit is even put onto the network.

In the second case, it's assigned whenever the packet is supplied, by
the device driver or networking stack, to whatever piece of code
time-stamps the packet; that's after the lat bit is received.

In other words, the time stamps aren't extremely precise measurements of
when the first, or last, bit of the packet was put onto the network; the
imprecision includes time spent passing the packet through the
networking code and the driver code, as well as, possibly, through the
networking card.  It might also, for incoming packets, include interrupt
latency.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe