tcpdump mailing list archives

WARNING: interface change for pcap_findalldevs_ex()

From: "Fulvio Risso" <fulvio.risso () polito it>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:01:14 +0200

Hi.
Due to the request to support file listing, the arguments of the
pcap_findalldevs_ex() should be modified.
We believe that only a small number of programmers started using this
function; therefore we prefer to modify the interface exported by it instead
of creating a new pcap_findalldevs_ex_ex() or something like that.

If nobody complains, the interface will change from:

   int pcap_findalldevs_ex(char *host, char *port, SOCKET sockctrl, struct
pcap_rmtauth *auth, pcap_if_t **alldevs, char *errbuf);

   int pcap_findalldevs_ex(char *source, struct pcap_rmtauth *auth,
pcap_if_t **alldevs, char *errbuf);

where 'source' will adopt the same syntax defined for the pcap_open():
  rpcap://               ==> lists all local adapters
  rpcap://hostname:port/ ==> lists all remote adapters
  file://folder/         ==> lists all files into 'folder'

For instance, 'sockctrl' was never used, so we can get rid off it.

The change will, obviously, be "smooth". We will release an "interim"
version of Winpcap using the new syntax, while keeping the old one (3.0)
still online.

Does anyone have any strong argument against this?
;-))

Thanks,

        fulvio

Fulvio Risso
Dip. di Automatica e Informatica    email: fulvio.risso () polito it
Politecnico di Torino               phone:        +39-011-5647008
Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24        fax:          +39-011-5647099
10129 Torino (Italia)               mobile:       +39-328-8424033