tcpdump mailing list archives

RE: listing all devs

From: "Fulvio Risso" <fulvio.risso () polito it>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:14:11 +0200

Hi.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tcpdump-workers () sandelman ottawa on ca
[mailto:owner-tcpdump-workers () sandelman ottawa on ca]On Behalf Of Gisle
Vanem
Sent: domenica 11 maggio 2003 22.20
To: tcpdump
Subject: [tcpdump-workers] listing all devs

The syntax of the tcpdump '-D' should IMHO be changed and
merged into the '-i' option. Especially considering the introduction
of remote and file capture in WinPcap 3.0. We should agree on a
uniform syntax. How about:
 List all local devices:     tcpdump -i?
 List all remote devices:  tcpdump -i rpcap://remotehost/?

This can be done.
The remote daemon in Win32 (rpcapd) already supports this command.
The problem is that you have to use the pcap_findalldevs_ex() instead of pcap_findalldevs().

We chose not to add another #ifdef into the tcpdump/WinDump code in order to keep things simpler.

 List all capture files in dir: tcpdump -i file://dir/?

This is actually unsupported. It should be a good suggestion.
However, this is a pain from the implementation point of view, since file listing is platform independent. SO, your
code will have tons of "#define" and this is something I would like to avoid (basically because I'm using only Win32,
Linux and BSD, and I'm not able to implement and test the code on other platforms).

 List all capture files in dir: tcpdump -r dir/?

Thus we need some new libpcap functions. pcap_findall_captures()
and pcap_findall_remote_devs() ?? Should be pretty easy to support
this in the rpcap daemon.

BTW. There must be a bug somewhere in the Win32 port:
windump -i1
windump.exe: listening on
\Device\NPF_{93380695-0E31-456C-9EB0-8802E111C09D}blue►

Could you please refer to the WinDump mlist with some more details?
Cheers,

        fulvio

windump
windump.exe: listening on
\Device\NPF_{93380695-0E31-456C-9EB0-8802E111C09D}

Some trailing "blue.." in the first example.

--gv

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use
mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe

-