tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New APIs to support multiple DLT_'s on an interface

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:09:30 -0800

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:53:09PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:
    Guy>      3) have "pcap_list_datalinks()" return a one-element list with
    Guy>         the "pcap_datalink()" value, and either have
    Guy>         "pcap_set_datalink()" return an error or return success if
    Guy>         you're setting the link-layer type to the type it already has
    Guy>         a failure otherwise.

  I like #3.

That's what I just now checked in.

    Guy> (In any case, perhaps those APIs should take an additional "char
    Guy> *errbuf" argument so that if the error *isn't* one returned by a system
    Guy> call we can still supply an error message.)

  Yes.

I didn't check that in - if we do so, will NetBSD pick it up, or will it
remain incompatible?

Note also that most APIs in libpcap don't have an "errbuf" argument -
the caller must use "pcap_geterr()" to get the error.  The only
exceptions are:

        calls that don't take a "pcap_t" as an argument, which obviously
        can't require that "pcap_geterr()" be used

and

        "pcap_setnonblock()" and "pcap_getnonblock()", for which I plead
        cluelessness when I added them.

Given that, should we add that argument?
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe