tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New APIs to support multiple DLT_'s on an interface

From: David Young <dyoung () ojctech com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:15:31 -0600

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 03:21:10AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
So does that mean you think that "pcap_list_datalinks()" and
"pcap_set_datalink()" should be present only on platforms that support a
choice of DLT (i.e., present only on current CVS versions of NetBSD, for
now), rather than having "pcap_list_datalinks()" return the one and only
DLT and "pcap_set_datalink()" allowing the DLT to be set only to the
value it already has?

  No. I think that it is desirable for the API to be uniform across
  platforms.

  But supposing we phase-in the DLT API on some platforms earlier than
  others, then it seems more sensible for both calls to appear at once
  in the API than for one call to appear, and then the other.

  On platforms where there is no choice, one DLT ought to be listed.

Dave

--
dyoung () ojctech com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933