tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump.org mirrors

From: "Joseph W. Shaw II" <mrman () darkside org>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:23:33 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Grant Bayley wrote:

I run the main mirror of tcpdump at wiretapped.net (no relation to
wiretapped.us) in Australia.  We rsync from cvs.tcpdump.org, and have
removed the entire tcpdump.org tree and disabled rsync updates until we
hear from Michael Richardson at tcpdump.org.

You may like to add this info to your Updates area, as the unavailability
of the main mirror site may seem suspicious.  It is not, as described
above.

Because wiretapped.net itself is mirrored to a few other sites, it may
take between 1 hour and 24 hours for this removal (and any subsequent
re-addition) to take effect.  We'll note when it goes back online at
http://www.wiretapped.net/changelog.html

I sent a notification to Michael at 2:30 am this morning when the HLUG
guys informed me.  While I wrote the tcpdump.org page, I don't have any
admin rights to the server so there's nothing I can do to change anything
on it.  Until Michael finds himself aware of this issue, all mirrors
should remove their source packages until further notice.

Checking CVS, it looks like only the source tarballs were trojaned, not
the CVS entries for the affected files.  configure 1.35 and gencode.c
1.180 for libcap and configure 1.91 from tcpdump all checkout clean for
the backdoor.  Removing the CVS trees mirrors may be a bit premature, but
being paranoid myself I can certainly understand erring on the side of
caution.  If you've installed libpcap 0.7.1 and/or tcpdump 3.7.1 from
source tarballs obtained from tcpdump.org, please check gencode.c from
libpcap source and configure from both libpcap and tcpdump.  In
configure you'll be looking for these two lines (3353-3354 in the tcpdump
source):

CNF="services"
URL="mars.raketti.net/~mash/$CNF"

If you can verify that they are or are not trojaned in your source
tarballs and give the date/time you downloaded them and forward that to me
I would appreciate it.  It will help us track down when this happened.

Like everyone else, I'm waiting to hear from Michael.

Regards,
--
Joseph W. Shaw, II

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html