Snort mailing list archives

Re: A few Issues Building Snort++ (3.0.0-a4-b244) on Ubuntu

From: Jonathan McDowell via Snort-devel <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:15:36 +0000

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 10:55:34AM -0400, Russ via Snort-devel wrote:
On 3/17/18 2:04 AM, Noah Dietrich wrote:
3. Additional question -> will DAQ go to cmake in the future?

Will DAQ move to cmake in the future?
There is no plan at this time to change DAQ to cmake.  Are you just
curious or is there a specific concern?

It'd be nice to see DAQ move to pkg-config rather than the
"daq-modules-config" binary - that would make things easier for cross
compilation.

4. Install location of snort binary seems off

When I run configure_cmake.sh and specify the prefix path as the root of
the drive (--prefix=/), most of the files are installed where you'd
expect (/etc/snort, et cetera), however the snort binary is placed in
/usr/bin/snort, this is different than previous installations, where
setting the prefix to the root of the drive would install the snort
binary to the /bin directory. is this a bug or by design?
Install should be using your prefix.  Maybe this broke with the recent use
of GNUInstallDirs.  However, we build and test using prefix all the time and
it is working here, but we probably never tried /.  I wouldn't expect it to
matter, but what happens if you use some other path?

This is definitely a GNUInstallDirs issue; my bad. Apparently CMake
special cases /, /usr + /opt:

https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/blob/master/Modules/GNUInstallDirs.cmake#L73

J.

--
If this isn't war, why is CNN massing on the border?
This .sig brought to you by the letter R and the number 49