Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS

From: Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal () dataix net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:12:43 -0500

That warning may just be because no pre-processors are configure within the snort.conf perfectly safe to ignore.

False positives in themselves are quite the annoying. Positioning of the sensor in IDS mode may have a lot to with that
outcome. Since networks very greatly, if this is on your edge interface(s) you might find quite a bit of traffic that
is positive but in general I’ve only come across few false positives on multiple edge interfaces that were only caused
by internal users. Amount of users will have a great effect on that. I have ~ 600-700 users and have found only very
minimal rules I either disabled or suppressed because they were not valid from external networks anyway.

Most of the false positives I’ve seen are the builtin snort rules like ICMP, retransmissions, and likewise. The more
refined rules like VRT(Talos), EmergingThreats have been pretty accurate for me.

Personally I like the use of Graylog (https://www.graylog.org/) for inspecting traffic from snort/suricata but that is
just me. Setting filters in anything related is just as much of a feat as making sure all your sensors are working as
intended.