Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS

From: Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal () dataix net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 10:52:50 -0500

Normally thats just to set it up and maintain the software and rules to go along with it to start. IDS in self to
snort(1) uses libpcap to build its interrogation techniques while still sending the traffic to its destination which
seems to be quite confusing to some folks after they find the traffic still arriving at the dst host.

IPS mode… inline mode inspects the traffic live and drops or passes them on you’re determination of rules that should
drop or alert. By default you get a lot of ALERT only rules and not sure why they are not dropping… because you have
not set them to drop. SID mgmt becomes a big part of this operation.

So hopefully as you can see each side has a drawback of the way you manage the entire structure that you built but when
done with all that in mind along with the reporting infrastructure you get a highly tuned IDS/IPS solution that fits
almost any size network.

If you have not dealt with snort before in both of the above mentioned roles then you might want to lean on using the
legacy mode that users libpcap depending on the projects requirements. Most often IDS legacy mode with blocking enabled
is adequate enough for most small to 2/3 size medium businesses and will result in less time of maintainer-ship.

Tho that is just my opinion and only a portion of what can actually be done with snort and other related IDS/IPS
solutions. Maybe a more well rounded question of “this is what I am trying to achieve vs. this is what I don’t like
right now with what I have; may be more helpful to answer."

Hope some of this helps.