Snort mailing list archives

Catch rate testing with VRT free ruleset

From: Andrea Romagnoli <andrea.romagnoli () it telecomitalia it>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 17:56:08 +0200

Hello everyone. We installed Snort 2.9.8.3 (Build 383) with PF_RING on a
server with 2 Xeon CPU, 256GB RAM and Ubuntu 14.04.1: our aim is to test
Snort in IPS inline mode using IXIA's Breaking Point (traffic generator)
We are doing a catch rate testing using updated VRT Free ruleset. Trying
hundreds attacks ordered by year (from 2008 to 2015) we reached a catch
rate of approximately ~45% (lower: 34.83% with 2008 attacks, higher:
47.08% with 2015 attacks).
In our testbed we enabled all rulesets and we put them in "reject" mode.
Do you think that those results are reasonable for a free ruleset such
as VRT Free, or we could do a bit more? What results we could expect
with VRT Pro?

Best regards,
Andrea