Snort mailing list archives

log files empty

From: Mark Cole <mcole () kerrlake com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:39:47 -0400

Hi,

I have installed snort on ElementaryOS in a VM on a Mac (with Parallels). I have configured snort to use alert logging
and packet logging via snort.conf. I have a very simple rule setup that alerts if any outgoing facebook connection.
When I go to facebook I see the activity on the Snort console but nothing gets written to the logs. I think I have read
every web page that I can find through Google on “snort log empty” or “snort log zero”. I have tried all of the
recommendations that I can find. I can see the logrotate works because it creates a new snort.log.xxxxxxx every time I
run snort - but they are always empty too.  Help!

This is what my rule looks like:
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (msg:"Facebook Web Request"; sid:9999;
content:"facebook";flow:to_server,established;)

My snort.conf has these relevant entries:
config logdir: /var/log/snort
output alert_unified2: filename snort.alert, limit 128, nostamp
output log_unified2: filename snort.log, limit 128, nostamp

##I have tried taking nostamp out based on one article I read with no change

Thank you!!
Mark