Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort looking for invalid rules directory

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 05:31:51 -0400

On 03/09/2016 04:55 AM, Ryan Bateman wrote:
[...]
which gives me the below error, as it looks for
/etc/snort//etc/snort/rules/local.rules which clearly doesn't exist. I have
looked in snort.conf and I can see a line that says include
$RULE_PATH/local.rules which I thought may be the issue, but the var for
$RULE_PATH is what it's supposed to be, /etc/snort/rules

I have no idea what else could be causing this. Any ideas?

touch /etc/snort/rules/local.rules

the cause is that the config tells snort to look for the local.rules in
/etc/snort/rules but it does not exist... local.rules is the traditional name of
the file containing your local rules specific to your network... it is generally
not updated by any existing tools...