Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort running inline but not functioning as IPS

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:46:54 +0000

From: Robin Kipp <mlists () robin-kipp net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:07 AM

Hi YM,
thanks for all your hints and ideas!
Before I start commenting on them in greater detail, let me start by saying that I completely wiped Snort, Barnyard2
and Pulledpork (including all files and databases) from the system in order to start from scratch.
After reinstalling Snort, I started by creating an ICMP detect rule, which I first set to alert („alert ICMP…“).
After running Snort in IDS mode, the ICMP packets were successfully detected and the alerts were logged.
Then, I went back and edited the rule, changing „alert“ to „drop“. Then, I once again started Snort, this time in
inline mode using DAQ-NFQ. At that point, when trying to execute pings, Snort would not only alert on them but also
drop the packets like it was supposed to.

That's good to know.

Next I proceeded by reinstalling Pulledpork, setting IPS policy to „balanced“ before downloading / processing any
rules. The downloading and processing then proceeded without errors, afterwards I fired up Snort once again to see
what would happen. Sadly, I then > discovered that this took me right back to where I started, over 7000 rules loaded
but no alerts or other visible reactions to rules being triggered… I can see in the stats that Snort is capturing
traffic alright, but it’s still dead quiet about alerts!
However, I made a very interesting discovery: once I edited my pulledpork.conf and commented out ips_policy, then
reprocessed rules with the -P flag, Snort would once again generate alerts properly. After changing ips_policy to
either „balanced“ or „security“, >Snort would go back to being silent.

From what you just described this tells me that may be working just fine, it is just the coincidence that none of the
traffic being captured at that point of time matched any signatures. Here is a suggestion, keep everything intact in
Snort, however, reconfigure the rules to run in "security" policy mode and test - I am not sure the "max" policy is
yet added to PulledPork . If that still does not alert, then edit your enablesid.conf and add "pcre:.", minus the
quotes. This will enable all of the rules at once. You may see more warnings about flowbits at this point, but that's
okay for now until you finish testing.

Back to your description, I have two questions if I may,

- While Snort was running but not alerting, was it dropping the traffic?
-  Have you added which rules to change from "alert" to  "drop" in your dropsid.conf?

YM