Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort running inline but not functioning as IPS

From: Robin Kipp <mlists () robin-kipp net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 01:07:42 +0100

Hi YM,
thanks for all your hints and ideas!
Before I start commenting on them in greater detail, let me start by saying that I completely wiped Snort, Barnyard2
and Pulledpork (including all files and databases) from the system in order to start from scratch.
After reinstalling Snort, I started by creating an ICMP detect rule, which I first set to alert („alert ICMP…“). After
running Snort in IDS mode, the ICMP packets were successfully detected and the alerts were logged.
Then, I went back and edited the rule, changing „alert“ to „drop“. Then, I once again started Snort, this time in
inline mode using DAQ-NFQ. At that point, when trying to execute pings, Snort would not only alert on them but also
drop the packets like it was supposed to.
Next I proceeded by reinstalling Pulledpork, setting IPS policy to „balanced“ before downloading / processing any
rules. The downloading and processing then proceeded without errors, afterwards I fired up Snort once again to see what
would happen. Sadly, I then discovered that this took me right back to where I started, over 7000 rules loaded but no
alerts or other visible reactions to rules being triggered… I can see in the stats that Snort is capturing traffic
alright, but it’s still dead quiet about alerts!
However, I made a very interesting discovery: once I edited my pulledpork.conf and commented out ips_policy, then
reprocessed rules with the -P flag, Snort would once again generate alerts properly. After changing ips_policy to
either „balanced“ or „security“, Snort would go back to being silent.