Snort mailing list archives

Re: Could someone test a rule for me please?

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:37:23 +0000

|13| means “look for 13, in hex (as opposed to ascii)”  In Bitorrent, this is the Protocol Name Length field.  Which is
always set to 19. (|13| in hex).  Then "protocol name" = “BitTorrent Protocol”.

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager

On Jul 7, 2014, at 6:43 AM, Charlie Egan <chas5873 () gmail com<mailto:chas5873 () gmail com>> wrote:

Sorry to be a pain guys, could somebody get back to me regarding my last query?

Cheers,

Charlie

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Charlie Egan <chas5873 () gmail com<mailto:chas5873 () gmail com>> wrote:
No worries Nathan!

Joel, I'm curious to what the |13| means in the content section? I can't figure it out when looking at the stream
content image I uploaded above from Wireshark.

Your rule looks a lot better than mine, with the extra depth which I've just read up about, so thanks for that.

Out of curiousity though, would my initial rule have worked without giving out any false positives?

Cheers

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:17 PM, lists () packetmail net<mailto:lists () packetmail net> <lists () packetmail
net<mailto:lists () packetmail net>> wrote:
On 07/02/2014 12:56 PM, Joel Esler (jesler) wrote:
I think Nathan may have missed the “BitTorrent protocol” part.

Without a doubt, I completely missed it.  I profusely apologize Charlie.