Snort mailing list archives

Re: Could someone test a rule for me please?

From: Charlie Egan <chas5873 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 21:09:56 +0100

Hi guys,

I've had a friend test my initial rule (the one in the first post), and
unfortunately it's not providing him with any alerts (unless he's done
something wrong!). I know there's the rule that you posted Joel, and after
doing some googling, I've realised it's been in the community rule set for
about ten years!

I'm curious to know however why my initial rule isn't working, since I
included the search for the content BitTorrent protocol paired with |0000
0000| - I'm a bit confused because looking at my Wireshark image I uploaded
to tinypic in one of the above posts, that made me assume it would work.

I'd really appreciate if someone could explain what was wrong with my rule
as I'm currently doing a fairly important project and need to understand
this to be honest!

Cheers guys,

Charlie