Snort mailing list archives

Re: Having trouble editing the configuration file for Windows

From: Trevor Thompson <trevthom18 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:39:42 -0400

Through following the advice given by Michael I the first error that
inquired about, but I am now encountering a new type of error.

"ERROR: C:\snort\rules\file-identify.rules(22) Unknown ClassType:
misc-activity"

I've done some googling to see exactly what the problem is, but I cannot
seem to find someone who has encountered the exact error that I'm facing
now. This link describes a similar situation a recommends that the cause of
the problem is the classification.config file:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.ids.snort.general/43598

However, I examined the contents of this file and couldn't find any
problems with it. I'll post the file so you all can see it.

config classification: shellcode-detect,Executable Code was Detected,1
config classification: string-detect,A Suspicious String was Detected,3
config classification: suspicious-filename-detect,A Suspicious Filename was
Detected,2
config classification: suspicious-login,An Attempted Login Using a
Suspicious Username was Detected,2
config classification: system-call-detect,A System Call was Detected,2
config classification: tcp-connection,A TCP Connection was Detected,4
config classification: trojan-activity,A Network Trojan was Detected, 1
config classification: unusual-client-port-connection,A Client was Using an
Unusual Port,2
config classification: network-scan,Detection of a Network Scan,3
config classification: denial-of-service,Detection of a Denial of Service
Attack,2
config classification: non-standard-protocol,Detection of a Non-Standard
Protocol or Event,2
config classification: protocol-command-decode,Generic Protocol Command
Decode,3
config classification: web-application-activity,Access to a Potentially
Vulnerable Web Application,2
config classification: web-application-attack,Web Application Attack,1
config classification: misc-activity,Misc activity,3
config classification: misc-attack,Misc Attack,2
config classification: icmp-event,Generic ICMP event,3
config classification: inappropriate-content,Inappropriate Content was
Detected,1
config classification: policy-violation,Potential Corporate Privacy
Violation,1
config classification: default-login-attempt,Attempt to Login By a Default
Username and Password,2
config classification: sdf,Sensitive Data was Transmitted Across the
Network,2
config classification: file-format,Known malicious file or file based
exploit,1
config classification: malware-cnc,Known malware command and control
traffic,1
config classification: client-side-exploit,Known client side exploit
attempt,1

Again, any help you all can provide would be appreciated.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>