Snort mailing list archives

Re: BPF problem

From: Mike Patterson <mike.patterson () uwaterloo ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:34:50 +0000

Following up to myself: I’ve tried various permutations of my BPF filter to no avail. I tried Snort versions 2.9.5.3
(which is what’s on my old sensor), 2.9.6.0, and 2.9.6.1. Always, Snort says it’s reading my BPF filter, and always,
it’s including alerts for IPs and networks that are in the filter.

My current filter is of the form:

not (net 1.2.3.4/8 or not net 10.0.0.0/24 or not 172.16.12.1)

I tried a very simple filter - not net 10.0.0.0/24 - and no joy either.

I know that the sensor is not simply looking inside GRE tunnels, like Robert was seeing - verified with tcpdump and one
of our network engineers.

The only substantial difference between these platforms is the one with functional BPF filters is built on an Endace
DAG, and the other is built on an Intel X520 with PF_RING+DNA.

I verified that tcpdump (built against libpcap that comes with PF_RING) does accept my filter. I verified that Snort is
using that same libpcap.

I’m not sure what else to try here. Any suggestions? I can tell barnyard2 to ignore alerts for the IPs I’d like to
ignore, but it would be nice to save Snort the overhead in processing them (and my disk space).

Mike