Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort BPF.filter doesn't work

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:54:04 -0400

On 7/11/2014 8:01 AM, Robert Millott wrote:
The problem I had was that I was trying to filter on the address 192.168.1.1.
  src and dst addresses were the addresses of the GRE tunnel, so they did not
match the src and dst address filters I had in place.  Within the gre
encapsulated packet was the address 192.168.1.1 and that is what set the snort
alert off, but since it wasn''t the packets src or dst address, the bpf filter
didn't catch it.  To fix it, I added gre to the bpf filter, ie

not (proto gre or host address 192.168.1.1)

I chose to drop all GRE packets, figuring I would catch the traffic im looking
for when it isn't encapsulated. Then I could filter the 192.168.1.1 traffic.

Hope that helps someone else

nice! thank you, sir :)