Snort mailing list archives

Re: I have written a Linux shell script to detect missing rule files in your /etc/snort/snort.conf!

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 20:24:08 -0400

On 4/12/2014 2:37 AM, Teo En Ming wrote:
You still need a program to check if the rule files in /etc/snort/rules are
missing in the include statements in /etc/snort/snort.conf.

Here is the output from my Linux shell script:

[root@localhost teo-en-ming]# ./detect-missing-snort-rule-files.sh
black_list.rules not included in /etc/snort/snort.conf!

this one is for the reputation processor... it does not contain rules... only IP
addresses...

deleted.rules not included in /etc/snort/snort.conf!

all of these are commented out because they have been removed for various reasons...

VRT-License.txt not included in /etc/snort/snort.conf!

this is not a rule file!

white_list.rules not included in /etc/snort/snort.conf!

this one goes with black_list.rules above... it, also, does not contain any
rules... only IP addresses...

while your idea and script are good, blindly including all rules files is not a
good thing to do...