Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Manual] How to Make Asus RT-N15U Wireless Router (Tomato by Shibby Fimware) Mirror Traffic to Snort

From: Teo En Ming <teo.en.ming () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 06:16:10 +0800

Dear Joel Esler,

Could you publish my manual on http://www.snort.org/docs ?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Teo En Ming

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 2:13 AM, Teo En Ming <teo.en.ming () gmail com> wrote:

Updated the manual to version 1.1.

Teo En Ming

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Teo En Ming <teo.en.ming () gmail com> wrote:

Dear Snort Team @ Sourcefire,

As some of the information on the http://www.snort.org/docs page
pertaining to how to make home routers mirror traffic to Snort is outdated,
could you publish this manual on the http://www.snort.org/docs page as
well.

Please note that the latest dd-wrt v24-SP2 and OpenWRT 12.09 firmwares NO
LONGER support mirroring traffic to Snort as they are based on the Linux
kernel 3.x. The kernel module ipt_ROUTE.ko is *incompatible* with Linux
kernel 3.x. The ipt_ROUTE source code is only compatible with the Linux
kernel 2.6.x.

Please use Tomato by Shibby firmwares if you seriously want to mirror
traffic to Snort. Please visit his website at http://tomato.groov.pl/Why do you want to use Tomato by Shibby
firmwares if you want to
contemplate mirroring traffic to Snort? Because Tomato by Shibby firmwares
are based on the Linux kernel 2.6.x. The latest is not always the greatest.

After failing to mirror traffic to Snort with the latest dd-wrt and
OpenWRT firmwares on my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 router, I have FINALLY
successfully mirrored traffic to Snort using Tomato by Shibby firmware on
my Asus RT-N15U router.

I have wasted a few days and SGD$109 on the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
wireless router in attempting to mirror traffic to Snort. I have wasted a
lot of time on the dd-wrt and OpenWRT firmwares. Please DO NOT use the
*latest* dd-wrt and OpenWRT firmwares if you seriously want to use home
routers to mirror traffic to Snort.

I hope I have saved potential Snort users' (who want to use home routers
to mirror traffic to Snort) time and money by providing valuable advice
here.

Please refer to the attached PDF file in this email for the manual which
I have just written.

Lastly, and the most important of all, please help me generate some
alerts for my Snort IDS virtual machine. My Snort IDS is installed in a
virtual machine running on Oracle VM VirtualBox. My websites are
http://www.teo-en-ming.com and http://www.zhang-enming.com

I want to see some alerts appearing on my Snort box, just to make sure my
Snort NIDS is fully operational.

Yours sincerely,

Teo En Ming