Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not generating alerts

From: James Dickenson <jdickenson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 22:53:11 -0700

Matt,

I skimmed through that doc.  I didn't see anywhere that they have you
configure the rulesets running on the sensor.  They have you set the paths
for the whitelist and blacklist for the IP reputation preproc but no rule
enable/disabling that I can see.

You should see near the end of your snort.conf where the rules are enabled
and disabled they should look something like this

*snip*
include $RULE_PATH/attack-responses.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/backdoor.rules
*snip*

Go through those and figure out what makes sense for you to run.  If it has
a pound in front of it is commented out obviously.  You can also do a 'wget
www.testmyids.com' to test to see if your sensor is up and working.  The
other option is to look at pulledpork and modify your snort.conf to use
that to manage and update  your rulesets.  Most people recommend doing that
as managing them by hand can be quite tedious.

There is alot of other tuning that can and probably should be done in the
snort.conf file I suggest looking through it and familaring yourself with
it.  Start with the rules and HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET then look at the
preprocessors starting with stream5 and frag3 preproc.

Hopefully that gets you up and running.

Good luck!

-James