Snort mailing list archives

Snort not generating alerts

From: "Matt ." <sttwok82 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:15:22 -0700

Resending as this apparently didn't go through yesterday.

I'm ramping up on Linux and Snort, so not highly familiar with them yet.
That said I've installed Snort and Snort Report onto Ubuntu 12.04 via the
instructions at the following URL and fixed the errrors that prevented
snort and barnyward2 from running.
http://www.symmetrixtech.com/articles/016-snortinstallguide2953.pdf
At this point I am not able to determine why it's not generating alerts
after test vulnerbility scanrs are run, the log files are empty. If I add
the following lines uncommented out to the bottom of snort.conf, data is
put into the log files and database. But once I comment out the lines
nothing is generated.

#alert ip any any -> any any (msg:"Got an IP Packet";
classtype:not-suspicious; sid:2000000; rev:1;)

#alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"Got an ICMP Packet";
classtype:not-suspicious; sid:2000001; rev:1;)
#alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"ICMP Large ICMP Packet"; dsize:>800;
reference:arachnids,246; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:2000499; rev:4;)
 I've searched online and am stumped. Any assistance, pointers,
recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt