Snort mailing list archives

Re: Handling firewall rejected packets in SNort IPS

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:09:25 -0400

On 5/19/2013 10:19, James Lay wrote:

On May 19, 2013, at 6:32 AM, VES Education <veseducation () yahoo com
<mailto:veseducation () yahoo com>> wrote:

iptables -A Input jmptosnort
iptables -A Input jmptogood

OR

iptables -I Input jmptosnort
iptables -I Input jmptogood

in both cases, the actual ordering is not going to be what you expect it to
be... jmptosnort will be last in line and everything else will be acted on
first...

-A will append….so the order you see in your script is the order you'll get in
the table. -I will insert..each -I goes at the top of the table, effectively
reversing the order in your script. Just thought I'd toss that out there.

:oops: thanks, james... i can't believe i let that go out bassackwards like
that... i meant to flip the -A examples :( :oops: