Snort mailing list archives

Re: Handling firewall rejected packets in SNort IPS

From: VES Education <veseducation () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 20:32:34 +0800 (SGT)

Thanks for the reply.

point 1

"what you really want is to force/ensure that the jmptosnort rule is at the top
of the chain so that it is entered first and then anything that passes snort
will come back to traverse the rest of the rules..."

Would it result in performance loss as packet is coming to layer 2 then layer 7 then again layer 2 then layer 7 for
actual application.

If packet is allowed by Snort I am not sure how it will come back to firewall again.

It seems to be tricky thing. Would you mind you to clarify.

Thanks,
B.Vijayakumar Athithan