Snort mailing list archives

Can't start DAQ (-1) - ipfw_daq_start: can't create divert socket

From: Ricky Huang <rhuang.work () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 12:03:29 -0800

Hello all,

In an attempt to run Snort in inline mode (IPS), I set DAQ of my Snort to be IPFW.  At first it refuse to start with
the error:

$ snort -i igb0 -u snort -g snort -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf -N -Q --daq ipfw --daq-mode inline

[…]

ERROR: Can't start DAQ (-1) - ipfw_daq_start: can't create divert socket (Operation not permitted)
!
Fatal Error, Quitting..
(full log attached, snort.ipfw.log)

A little Googling shows this to be an issue of IPFW requiring root to start (http://seclists.org/snort/2013/q1/803).

Fine.  So I start the snort with root:wheel and got another flavor of the ipfw_daq_start error:

snort -i igb0 -u root -g wheel -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf -N -Q --daq ipfw --daq-mode inline
[…]
ERROR: Can't start DAQ (-1) - ipfw_daq_start: can't create divert socket (Protocol not supported)
!
Fatal Error, Quitting..
(full log attached, snort.ipfw.root.log)

At first I am guessing it has to with the note on Snort documentation
(http://manual.snort.org/node7.html#SECTION00256000000000000000):

* IPFW only supports ip4 traffic.

So I went through my snort.conf and turn off the only two things referring to ipv6:

#preprocessor normalize_ip6
#preprocessor normalize_icmp6

And I am still getting the same "Protocol not supported" error (full log attached, snort.ipfw.root.noip6.log).

I am stumped…

BTW, is there another DAQ choice on FreeBSD 9.0 for inline operation?  Looking in the DAQ library dir:

# ls -1 /usr/local/lib/daq/
daq_dump.la
daq_dump.so
daq_ipfw.la
daq_ipfw.so
daq_pcap.la
daq_pcap.so

It doesn't seem like I have many choices.

Thanks in advance!