Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort doc error (?) - rule option not optional?

From: Ricky Huang <rhuang.work () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 11:01:05 -0800

On Mar 8, 2013, at 10:45 AM, Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com> wrote:

[… snip …]

2) If it's true that -T validates all included files, why isn't something that causes a Fatal error caught?

OK - snort -T validates the conf but accepts rules w/o sid, defaulting the sid to zero.  Drop the -T and you get a
fatal error.  W/or w/o -T, duplicate sid rules are resolved by selecting the highest rev.

Exactly!  Apologies if I hadn't been more clear earlier.

Not sure if there still is a use case for -T accepting rules without sid.  I'll check and put in a bug assuming that
isn't required.

Thank you!

Thanks
Russ

Please keep in mind that I am a brand-new user to Snort, some things that are obvious to the pro's are not really so
to me unless they're explicitly documented somewhere.

Thanks again to all those that have responded!

YM