Snort mailing list archives

Re: Restart snort inline without traffic loss?

From: Heine Lysemose <lysemose () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 22:02:25 +0100

Hi Andy

On Feb 5, 2013 9:30 PM, "Andy" <a_w_smith () yahoo co uk> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to snort, I have it installed on a web server running inline mode
with iptables, nfqueue, barnyard2 and snorby.

I've downloaded the emerging threats rules, firstly all the rules are
alerts, do I have to convert these to drop if I want to drop the traffic?

Have a look at Pulledpork,  http://code.google.com/p/pulledpork/, it will
do this for you + a lot of other cool things.
Assuming I do, how do I restart snort without loosing good traffic,
currently if I kill the process and restart I lose about 30 seconds of
traffic while snort restarts, not good on an ecommerce site.

I also would like a fail safe nfqueue bypass in case things go wrong, at
the
moment if snort goes down I also get locked out but its on a cron job to
restart if its down for more than 1 minute.

I need some advice please..

Thanks.

Regards,
Lysemose