Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql issue

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:06:49 -0500

On 11/22/2012 17:37, k vijay sai prashanth wrote:
Hello fellow snort users,

I seek advice with for resolving an issue.

I don't wish to create any separate user for snort and would like to stick to
root user.

why? you really should not, though... running snort as root allows for a
possible security breach...

So I have skipped the following step from the installation guide: "groupadd
snort && useradd -g snort snort"

In my barnyard2.conf I've included the below line:

output database: log, mysql, user=root password=rootpassword dbname=snort
host=localhost

should it be as below or as above:

it should not matter as this is only the database access for the BY2 app to
place the data in the database...

output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=rootpassword dbname=snort
host=localhost

I've tried both and both ways I seem to be having no events logged on the mysql
database.

I performed this step while setting up the database though.

SET PASSWORD FOR snort@localhost=PASSWORD('rootpassword');

Is this step okay.

i'm not sure... i don't recall that step taking that format... but it may be
valid... the mysql docs should show the proper format with an example in which
you simply substitute your user's name and password where needed... and make
sure you get the host that the user is connecting from correct too... in other
words, if you only connect to mysql via localhost, then user@localhost would be
fine... however, if you have mysql set up for accessing from other hosts, then
you /might also/ need user@somehost with the same privs... maybe the same
password... maybe not... that depends on how you allow the user to access...

I dont get events and barnyard2 says *waiting for new data* when run. What am I
doing wrong?

that indicates that BY2 has not seen any new data in the file(s) it monitors...
is this after you ran BY2 in bulk processing mode and then maybe you are trying
to "return" to live processing mode or??