Snort mailing list archives

mysql issue

From: k vijay sai prashanth <vijaysaiprashanth () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 04:07:07 +0530

Hello fellow snort users,

I seek advice with for resolving an issue.

I don't wish to create any separate user for snort and would like to stick
to root user.

So I have skipped the following step from the installation guide: "groupadd
snort && useradd -g snort snort"

In my barnyard2.conf I've included the below line:

output database: log, mysql, user=root password=rootpassword dbname=snort
host=localhost

should it be as below or as above:

output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=rootpassword dbname=snort
host=localhost

I've tried both and both ways I seem to be having no events logged on the
mysql database.

I performed this step while setting up the database though.

SET PASSWORD FOR snort@localhost=PASSWORD('rootpassword');

Is this step okay.

I dont get events and barnyard2 says *waiting for new data* when run. What
am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Prashanth