Snort mailing list archives

Re: A question on SMTP normalization

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:47:39 -0500

On Nov 13, 2012, at 11:19 AM, "Lay, James" <james.lay () wincofoods com> wrote:

Hey all,

Most of the time email sigs fire normally.  Occasionally I get one that slips through, and I’m guessing it’s due to
the content type:

Rules that look for say the below fail:

he link to this secure message will expire in 24 hours. If you would  li=
ke to save a copy of the email or attachment, please save from the  opene=
d encrypted email. If an attachment is included, you will be given  the o=
ption to download a copy of the attachment  to your computer.<br />
To view your secure message, <a href=3D"hxxp://a3australia.com/zcRDxLj/in=
dex.html" target=3D"_blank"> click here</a>.

Is there a way to…”normalize” this type of encoding?  Thanks all.

Do you have a pcap with this behavior?  I have a couple thoughts here, and I want to check on some things.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT