Snort mailing list archives

Re: xss detection ruleset

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:34:30 -0500

On 11/8/2012 23:52, Danny Dev wrote:
I just would like to know if anyone has made a ruleset as I mentioned, something that
can detect common xss attack vectors such as illustrated by the xss cheat sheet.

xss cheat sheet? hummm...

I'm still sifting through the Bleeding snort rules to see what all is there. If it's not available we'll develop it
and can donate it back to the community in case anyone else wants it.

you might be better served by using the emerging threats rules instead of
bleeding snort... bleeding snort is not what it used to be... the founder left
and set up emerging threats which is very active and puts out new rules and
updates pretty much every day ;)

cheers

Hi,

I'm mostly interested in using snort for xss detection as part of the security
for a php web app.  I was hoping to find some rules that could detect most things
illustrated by the well known xss cheat cheat.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/XSS_Filter_Evasion_Cheat_Sheet

I understand this by no means protects a site 100% from xss :) but something that
will detect many of the most common http xss attacks will work for this
layer of my security.

Anyway the rules distributed by snort seem pretty slim as far as detecting xss,
can anyone recommend a third party ruleset that has fairly extensive
xss detection?

thank you!